Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Root Directory
Kaito Offline

Aug 2010
#1 Root Directory
I want to upgrade my forum, and it says I must pload something to my forums root directory, and this is simple enough, but... what's a root directory. I just need to know how I get files into a directory, for example:
The upload folder in the myBB 1.6 folder must be uploaded to the forum's root directory.
OR
The upload folder in a theme folder must be uploaded to the forum's root image directory.
So my question is: how do I upload something into the root directory?
Thanks for any help.

[Image: 2uoqgky.png]
08-20-2010 06:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BrianRR Offline

Designer
Aug 2010
#2 RE: Root Directory
Okay the Root directory is where your MyBB Files are located at.
08-20-2010 07:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kaito Offline

Aug 2010
#3 RE: Root Directory
But where exactly is that? I'm a newbie at myBB...

08-20-2010 07:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BrianRR Offline

Designer
Aug 2010
#4 RE: Root Directory
its in your FTP. where do you host your mybb files?
08-20-2010 07:14 PM
Kaito Offline

Aug 2010
#5 RE: Root Directory
I use the very simple myBBnew forum hoster, I don't know what an FTP us or where I keep my forum files...

08-20-2010 10:15 PM
AJ Offline

Aug 2010
#6 RE: Root Directory
You can't upgrade your forum yourself on MyBBnew but I believe they plan to upgrade all their forums to 1.6 on Monday. Smile
08-21-2010 09:26 AM
Kaito Offline

Aug 2010
#7 RE: Root Directory
Thanks, I saw in my ACP they were doing some changes come Monday, which hopefully includes them adding an Upload Theme button, so I can finally make a unique forum.

08-21-2010 10:33 AM
BrianRR Offline

Designer
Aug 2010
#8 RE: Root Directory
Well Let's See, did they upgrade?
08-30-2010 11:05 PM
antonio48atki Offline

Dec 2010
#9 RE: Root Directory
Hello friend,i want to ask a question how many types of root files are there?Actually i know only Dropbox root file..Can you help me..

excessive sweating
12-15-2010 05:05 AM
postman Offline

Dec 2010
#10 RE: Root Directory
antonio,

root files??? if you are referring to directories, I can comment.

we will call it a path to a file. Ex. ever notice the little "x" where a graphic should be. That is because the file either doesnot exist by the name it was called in the code, or it is not where the "path" says it will be.

Think of a map. While we interpret the map as to our realtive postion to our destination, we analyze the route. We also preceive alternate routes. Computers dont have that perception. There is simply a beginning point and a destination through directiories. However we will go from a to b, then b to c, then c to d. So we decide to go to e, so we go a,b,c, or to e. The the computer will always start at a, because the path to b is always from a.

There are 2 paths, absolute and relative. Relative the most recognizable, employs naming conventions. "Red", "Fruit", "Apple". alternatively "Red", "Fruit", "Plum".

NOW HOLD ON! A DANG MINUTE!!! I have a GREEN APPLE. Huh

Idea "Green", "Fruit", "Apple" so this interpretation of the path is called a relative disipline.

The absolute is a static discipline that tells the operating system where you will define the tools you work with, such as .php. usually called in the first line of a script. Your absolute path ex. /!/usr/mydomain/mytools/myshelves/mytoys/--->.php

once defined /!/usr/mydomain/mytools/myshelves/mytoys/---> is truncated to /php

The point here being to verify the path through your directories and the file name. The more complex your task the closer attention you must pay to convention and disipline.

hope this helps.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2010 12:24 PM by postman.)
12-16-2010 12:21 PM